Monday 10 September 2012

Inspiration on the Tube

Sometimes I have little moments of creativity and this, I suppose, is one. From Bank at lunch time, where I saw the Olympic and Paralympic athletes' parade, gestated on my way from work to Warren Street and born somewhere between Oxford Circus and Green Park on my way home, this little poem was tucked in my copy of Sense and Sensibility written on the back of a map, serendipitously, of Soho. In amongst the everyday, London has just recently felt a bit special and, now at an end, I feel the weight of expectation on this city has been lifted. I didn't have my camera at the Parade so this, for me, is my Elephant-Brained moment to commemorate the special day.

London 10.09.12


Out in the mass

With confetti
Weeping onto anybody else's shoulder but
Yours
Here's closure, now it ends.

But we further descend and

Now
At half past five and Underground
Clunky, curmudgeonly- a little bereft
That whisper in the crowd takes a breath and sighs:

we did it; we were there.

And, even as the warm breath fades
And as the little strings snap
One 
              by
                          One
I'll try to hold mine all the more
Closely
fleeting as the rails 
in our palms.

No comments:

Post a Comment